Friday, June 3, 2011

The Importance Of Being Quirky

I admire Zooey Deschanel. She stars in one of my all-time favorite movies, (500) Days of Summer. She's the singer of an indie band, She & Him. She's pretty darn cute (as I've mentioned before, here).

Most of all, Zooey is quirky. I believe she's quirky, anyway. She doesn't believe she's quirky. In fact, she wants nothing to do with the word "quirky." In an interview with Lucky magazine earlier this year, she said "quirky" is an annoying word because it "is like a nice way of saying weird."

I am a little confused as to why she'd feel this way, especially since her character in her upcoming Fox comedy New Girl is the very definition of quirky. The fact that she'd find the word "quirky" to be annoying makes her seem even more quirky to me.

There are a lot of women who disagree with Zooey and embrace their quirkiness. I was browsing through a dating website recently, and I'd estimate that 20 percent of the women whose profiles I read described themselves as quirky. (They also used other superlatives such as "charismatic," "delightful," "attractive," "intelligent." They all neglected to mention that they're also arrogant.)

Actually, there's a significant advantage to being quirky. One author has developed a "Quirk Theory" that suggests that students who are ostracized for their peculiar traits while in school go on to become successful adults. Successful in every aspect except for their romantic life, apparently, since so many quirky women are on dating websites.

Too many quirky women, I'd say. As I looked through the profiles on the dating website, I started to wonder whether these women really are quirky, or whether they just like the idea of being quirky. If the latter is true, then that would be a little quirky. And a little weird. So maybe Zooey was on to something.