Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Movie Watching Without The Kids

I purchased a DVD copy of Frozen at Best Buy on March 18, 2014, the day it was released. I immediately brought it home, where it remained sealed in plastic, untouched, in a drawer.

I didn't want to watch it. Not yet. I was reserving that moment for a special day: the day when I could enjoy it with my children.

Frozen wasn't much on my radar when it opened in theaters nearly a year ago, on November 27, 2013. I thought it would be another in a series of fine Disney films that wouldn't affect my life in any sort of profound way. And it didn't -- not at first, anyway. It did affect my Facebook News Feed, though. So many of my friends wrote that they were taking their children to see Frozen for the first time, for a second time, a third time, even a fourth and fifth time. Their kids loved this movie.

The steady stream of Frozen posts continued for months, until the movie was released digitally in late February. And then the stream of posts turned into an avalanche of posts. My friends downloaded the film, watched it with their kids over and over again, and uploaded photos of themselves watching it with their kids over and over again. Frozen was bringing a lot of joy to a lot of families.

It started to tug at my heartstrings. I wanted Frozen to bring joy to my family, too. I wanted to watch Frozen over and over with my children. I wanted to root for Elsa and Anna with them. I wanted to laugh at Olaf's funny lines with them. I wanted to sing a tone-deaf version of "Let It Go" with them. That's why I bought Frozen on DVD as soon as it was in stock.

However, there was one small issue: I didn't have children. I'd purchased the DVD in anticipation of having children. I suppose I could've watched it with my girlfriend, but...I didn't have a girlfriend, either. So the DVD rested comfortably in my drawer.

As spring gave way to summer, and summer gave way to autumn, it became clear to me that I would not have a girlfriend or a child in my life in the near future. It also dawned on me that DVD players may not even exist by the time I do have a girlfriend or a child in my life. As I spent another day scrolling through Frozen posts on Facebook on Saturday, I decided the time was right to remove the DVD from my drawer, break its seal and discover the magic of Frozen for myself -- alone.

I loved the film. I was especially entertained by two characters. One was Prince Hans, who had the opportunity to save Anna's life by granting her a kiss to break the curse that threatened to turn her frozen solid, only to make one of the greatest heel turns since this:


The other was Olaf the snowman, a sharp-witted character who may be related somehow to Gabbo, the ventriloquist dummy who briefly forced the cancellation of Krusty the Clown's TV show. I mean, they're both animated, they both like to sing and they have similar teeth. For comparison's sake:


I do regret that I couldn't share the Frozen experience with children of my own and bond with them in that way, like so many of my Facebook friends have with their kids. In a perfect world, I'd like to become a parent before the next animated Disney film is released.

What is the next animated Disney film, anyway? Give me a second to look it up.

OK, it's titled Big Hero 6, and it opens in...two weeks. Argh!