Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Pos't Regarding "Punk'd"

I was recently watching a clip of the comedy The Other Guys in which Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg's characters, both detectives, were fumbling an arrest. Exasperated, the suspect said, "Am I being Punk'd?"

It occurred to me that this is a commonly-used phrase, in one form or another. Google News shows at least 10 instances this month alone of someone either asking if they were being Punk'd or saying they thought they had been Punk'd.

Let me clear up the confusion. Chances are slim that anyone has been Punk'd in the last three years. How do I know this? Because the show went off the air in 2007. Ashton Kutcher stopped pulling pranks a long time ago. And when he did play tricks on others, the victims were usually celebrities.

So breathe a big sigh of relief. No one is in danger of being Punk'd.