Thursday, December 31, 2015

It's Nice To Be Liked (On Facebook)

I have never been happier than I am right now. I'm indescribably happy. I'm on cloud nine. I am grateful, blessed, and all of the other emotions that make for great hashtags.

You see, a couple of weeks ago I proposed to my girlfriend. It was joyful. It was celebratory. It was magical. Simply put, it was the greatest moment of my life.

Hours later, I announced my engagement on Facebook. The post received more than 100 likes. It was the first time a post of mine had ever received more than 100 likes. Simply put, it was the greatest moment of my life.

I joined Facebook in 2009. I waited a long time for a post of mine to be liked by 100 friends. I did everything I could to make it happen. I uploaded photos of myself with random dogs. I filled out "Which Girls character are you?" quizzes and shared the results. I thanked everyone for their birthday wishes every day for a full year. Nothing worked.

That is, until I popped the question. It's a dream come true. I'm in love. And I'm liked. 

I'm excited. I'm excited to be engaged, excited to marry, excited to buy a home, excited to have kids, and excited to be liked on Facebook for all of these things.

I'm not surprised that I was so well-liked on Facebook after the proposal. I expected that. What I did not expect was that I'd be so well-liked in public after the proposal. That's been a very pleasant surprise.

Lately, when my fiancée and I have walked around the neighborhood, passersby have noticed us, flashed us smiles, and even thrown us a compliment or two. Maybe we emanate a glow, emit a new-engagement smell. I don't know. But we are definitely trending on the streets of New York.

There was one man who pointed both of his index fingers in our direction and commented, loudly, "Hey, what a great-looking couple!" My mind may be playing tricks on me, but if I remember correctly he performed the David Brent dance as he said it.


It's wonderful and intoxicating to be this well-liked. Had I known my popularity would rise this much after a marriage proposal, I would've gotten engaged in middle school.

The engagement has made me feel complete. I have the perfect woman by my side, an outpouring of support from strangers, and 100 likes on Facebook. What more could I want?

Maybe one thing: for 100 people to click the +1 button on this engagement post. I've never had 100 people click the +1 button for a blog post of mine.